Friday, November 26, 2010

Give The Gift of Life

  
     I had my very first experience giving blood almost 2 months ago. I have always wanted to do it, even as a kid (although I probably wouldn't have gone through with it at that age even if I could have. Needles aren't usually a welcome sight to kids.) I tried to give blood when I was 18, but I wasn't able to because I had gotten a tattoo within the last 12 months. Finally, I was able to do it at work when they brought in the Red Cross to take blood donations. It was an awesome experience, aside from almost passing out a few times and needed to keep cold water running down my face and drinking juice to keep me conscious. Apparently, a lot of people react that way the first time they donate, but it gets better after that. I have definitely decided to become a regular blood donor, and I'm really thankful that I am in a physical state to be able to give.
    According to the Red Cross, one pint of blood can save up to 3 lives. Unfortunately, only 3% of all people in America actually donate blood. Can you imagine what a difference it would make if everyone who was able gave blood even once in their life time? The amazing thing about giving blood is that it's something that can save people's lives, but it doesn't cost the donor anything. We are always making more blood, so we can always be donating. That's an incredible design, and I really think that God created us this way for a reason. We have a perpetual resource of blood that we can always be giving away to those who need it. Unless a person has some kind of condition that would prevent them from giving blood, there is no good reason not to donate. Please consider making a small contribution that can mean the difference to 3 other people, not to mention their family and friends. Besides, you get free juice and cookies. Need I really say more??

No comments:

Post a Comment