Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Homemade shampoo and conditioner experiment

I have tried making my own eco-friendly shampoo before out of baking soda and water. I couldn't tell if it was working or not for the first couple days and eventually just gave up. I was making it in the morning and pouring it into a jar. I would pour the whole jar over my head until it was empty. This was a little bit of a pain because I would need to prepare shampoo each morning before showering. However, I'm going to give this another try and store it in a pump bottle so I don't waste any. I've been researching it and a lot of people use this recipe for their regular shampoo routine. Apparently it takes a few days before your hair gets used to the new shampoo (just like when you switch to a new brand of shampoo that you bought at the store.) I also wanted to make my own conditioner, but all I could find were recipes using parashibles like mayo and avocado. However, I've finally found one that I can store for a while! I'm going to give this a shot and see how it turns out.
Lately I've been washing my hair with Dr. Bonner's Castile Soap, an all natural fair trade liquid soap. It works really well, but it's a lot less money to simply make your own shampoo. I'd rather save Dr. Bonner's for body wash.


Shampoo Recipe:
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 cup water


That's it!


Conditioner Recipe:
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup water.
(Honey is supposed to be good for conditioner as well, so you can add a tablespoon or two of this if you want.)


I've heard that your hair won't smell like vinegar when you rinse it. We'll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment